The primary objective of the work package is to document and analyze the value assumptions and ethical challenges involving the rapidly changing role of security professionals in Europe and to produce political recommendations to address them. This objective comprises several sub-objectives:
- An overview of the values premises that shape European police practices on the national level and comparative analysis of the results with principles and ethical codes set out for Europol
- An overview and analysis of the ethical principles implicitly and explicitly involved in security- sensitive information policy, intelligence, documentation, etc.
- A documentation and analysis of national values dimensions implicit in the transfer (retention of) prisoners between members states
- An analysis of value premises for Europol cooperation in border monitoring
- A documentation and analysis of the ethical issues involved in use of technological security systems by police at national and European levels
- An analysis of the ethical issues raised by the increasing role of private security professionals in security analysis and provision